Lazybrook and Timbergrove are adjoining deed-restricted subdivisions located seven miles northwest of downtown Houston along the rolling, wooded banks of White Oak Bayou.
Settled by German farmers in the late 1800s, the area was the site of a major oil discovery in the 1930s known as “Eureka.” Reminders of that distant past remain in the nearby Eureka Railroad Yard and St. John’s German Lutheran Church, built by early settlers in 1891. The structure was moved downtown from its original site on Mangum Road to Sam Houston Park in 1968.
The area’s public primary school, Sinclair Elementary School, was named after Thomas Albert Sinclair, the grandfather of one of Heritage Texas Properties’ founders, Lynn Zarr, Sr. Dr. Sinclair also founded Heights Hospital.
Founded in the 1950s and 60s, Lazybrook and Timbergrove originally consisted of 5,700-plus, modest one- and two-story brick homes. Area real estate is enjoying a renaissance as demand increases for close-in homes in attractive surroundings. Many retired home owners have moved out and young professionals have moved in, along with many who grew up in the area who have returned and renovated the older homes. Home sizes range from 1,100 to 3,200 square feet for the original homes, and much higher in the larger new construction homes that are being built.
The parkway along White Oak Bayou sports a hike-and-bike trail and provides an abundance of community-friendly green space. There are also two neighborhood parks, the 20-acre West 11th Street Park and the newly-renovated Jaycee Park.
Lazybrook/Timbergrove Civic Club maintains deed restrictions, coordinates recycling, publishes a newsletter, and reviews architectural changes.